The 2017 Horsham Masters will be played at Roffey Social Club on Sunday 21st May starting at 12.
A change has been made to the format, and rather than a straight knockout the competition will now be played in four groups of four; with the winners from each group progressing to the semi-finals.
Each group will be a round-robin of double-leg matches, meaning that everyone will play a minimum of three matches on the day.
More details will follow.
The following players have qualified. Please can you let me know if you would like to take your place?
1) Rob Hall 2) Stuart Carruthers 3) Jim Greensted 4) Mick Fairs 5) Clive Thompson 6) 5) Paul Jobbins 7) Chip Sawyer 8) Peter Edwards 9) Dave Vizor 10) Tony Franks 11) Mick Holmwood 12) Geoff Parsons 13) Graham Daniels 14) Keith Potter 15) 6) Dick Cable 16) 7) Dave Howlett 17) 8) Ros Appleby 18) 9) Derek Taylor 19) Mark Webber 20) 10) Steve King 21) 11) Andy Farmer-Wright 22) 12) Graham Sparksman 23) Mick Johnson 24) 13) Rob Jones 25) Ben Procter 26) 14) Iain Tarrant 27) 15) Brian Martin 28) John Tidy 29) 16) Lorraine Hall
There are three people currently still to confirm their places in the Masters. In order to complete the format and give reserves enough notice if I have not heard confirmation of attendance from these three by Wednesday morning I will take this as they have declined their place and start offering to the next on the list.
The three people in question are: Tony Franks, Geoff Parsons and Keith Potter.
I have tried to contact all of them but have not heard back. If you have any alternative contact information for them please let me know.
Full information for the Masters with draws and times will be sent out on Thursday.
The 2017 Horsham Masters will be played at Roffey Social Club on Sunday 21st May starting at 12. Can players please aim to get there 15 minutes early so that we can start on time.
A9 v A8
D12 v D5
B10 v B7
C11 v C6
A16 v A1
D13 v D4
B15 v B2
C14 v C3
C3 v C11
A1 v A9
D4 v D12
B2 v B10
C6 v C14
A8 v A16
D5 v D13
B7 v B15
B7 v B2
B15 v B10
A8 v A1
A16 v A9
D5 v D4
C14 v C11
C6 v C3
D13 v D12
16:30 - Semi-Finals
WA v WD
WB v WC
17:15 - Final (Table TBC)
• All games will be aggregate score over two legs.
• In Group game 2pts will be awarded for a win, 1pt for a draw and 0pts for a loss. The order of the group will be decided by the number of points, with total score being used to separate players who are level on points. If players are still tied then head-to-head result will be used to determine placing.
• Games will be played in the order shown on the schedule with the first named player taking the first shot in group matches.
• For the Semi-Final and Final the order of play will be determined by a flip of a coin with the winner having the choice of taking the first shot in the first or second leg.
• In the event of a tie in either the Semi-Final or Final a three minute shootout will be used, with each player having three minutes or until they miss to score the highest number of points.
• Players will be required to score the other games in their group, taking a leg each of the first two matches. For the third group game, which are being played at the same time, Group A and D will be requested to score for each other and the same with Group B and C.
• Subject to interest a plate competition with semi-finals and a final for people finishing second in their group will be played. There will be no prizes on offer for this but just added while we are there and have the time and tables available. If the player finishing second in the group doesn’t want to enter it will be offered to the third then fourth place finisher from their group before being offered to players from other groups (a random draw will be done if more than one interested).
Congratulations to Jim Greensted on winning the Horsham Masters and to Rob Jones on reaching the Final. Jim ended up dominating the Final. He started with only 1900, but after Rob pegged his first visit, Jim settled into the groove and made a 12k break before Sammy cleaned up the last few balls. Rob failed to go off with much in his break game and after a few visits each Jim got the balls back and made another good break. Foxy had played well all day with a number of big breaks across all his matches; while Sammy also showed his top form getting his first 10k break and also getting his top score on the way to the Final. Well done also to Derek Taylor for topping a tough group and reaching the semi-final for the second year in a row.
Thank you to Graham Sparksman for setting up four tables to a high standard and to Dick and Lee Cable, Dave Howlett, Ian Giffen and Steve Hopkins for helping to move them into position and organising the hall. Also a big thank you to the Roffey Club and staff for catering for us well all day. Would also like to thank all players for helping the day run smoothly and to Steve Hopkins and Ian Giffen for scoring matches even though they weren't playing. Finally thank you to everyone else who turned up to support this event and helped in either setting-up or cleaning at the end of the day.
A plate competition was also played for player's finishing second in their group (moved on to other places in the group for people not wanting to play) and this was won by Ros Appleby who beat Brian Martin in the Final.
Winner: Jim Greensted Runner-Up: Rob Jones Losing Semi-Finalists: Stuart Carruthers and Derek Taylor Highest Score: 16940 Stuart Carruthers Highest Break: 16940 Stuart Carruthers Plate Winner: Ros Appleby Plate Runner-Up: Brian Martin
Well, that was a great afternoon's BB: never a dull moment, the group format meant that all of us played six games with eight or ten for semi's and finalists. Plate as well, all good. Excellent table preparation, usual high level of hospitality from Roffey SSC, plenty of chat and encouragement, thanks to all concerned.
Looks like it was a great competition. I have a bit of a conscience about not being able to take part (flying the Horsham flag at Northants) but pleased that it went off really well with me not really being missed !
Huge thanks to Stuart who came up with the enhanced format involving groups - also introducing a Plate - his efforts whilst Competitions Secretary are greatly appreciated.
Congratulations to Foxy & also a big well done to Rob Jones in not only reaching the final & making his first 10K break and high score but also on a great standard all day coming through the group stages. Well done and bad luck to Derek & Stuart in the semi Finals.
Stuart did an amazing job in coming up with the format and a plan that works well, not only did he do all the admin he also played really well himself making the high break and score with a table playout bar the last ball 100. It started bang on time and ran smooth all day, the groups were well received by all players and there were noticeably more people in the room as the day went on as compared to the old way where they would loose their round and disappear. We even had players chasing the others telling them it's their turn to score. Well done Stuart. Congratulations To Ros Appleby on winning the plate and Brian 10 pints of Stella Martine as runner up.
Thanks to all that helped to get the tables in place on Saturday and again to Graham for his dedication in setting up 4 good tables, roll on Tuesday for Finals Night.