The 2018 Horsham Masters will be played at Roffey Social Club on Sunday 6th May starting at 12noon.
I will be following the same format introduced last season by my predecessor (Stuart): rather than a straight knockout the competition will now be played in four groups of four; with the winners from each group progressing to the semi-finals.
Each group will be a round-robin of double-leg matches, meaning that everyone will play a minimum of three matches on the day.
The final lineup and draw will be announced in advance of the day.
The following players have qualified, and can they kindly indicate their availability? (I will update this thread, promoting reserves as necessary, as we go.)
Thanks, Clive Thompson (Competitions Sec)
1 Stuart Carruthers Roffey Club H 2 Graham Daniels Windmill GG Dave Vizor Plough Mick Fairs Roffey Club Y 3 Clive Thompson Windmill GG 4 Graham Sparksman Roffey CC 5 Steve King Windmill CC 6 Paul Jobbins Roffey CC 7 Iain Tarrant Roffey Club H Geoff Parsons Plough Chip Sawyer Limeburners 8 Dave Howlett Stout House Steve Holden Limeburners 9 Mark Webber Plough 10 Derek Taylor Windmill CC 11 Stephen Hopkins Roffey Club H 12 Mick Holmwood Windmill GG 13 Rob Jones Roffey Club H Lee Cable Roffey Club Y Colin Southouse Roffey CC 14 Keith Potter Plough Keith Newman Stout House Mick Johnson Limeburners Rick Langridge Roffey Club Y Ben Procter Roffey Club Y 15 Brian Marten Plough Tony Temple Limeburners 16 Ros Appleby Roffey CC
Much now depending on the four Plough players (whether we open it up to players further down the list). They have promised to let me know within a week. I hope to do a little programme (nothing too special) to hand out for the event, so it would be good to finalise the lineup in advance of this.
Dave, Mark and Keith are now confirmed entries, but Geoff has declined.
28 April 2018 The 2018 Horsham Masters will be played at Roffey Sports & Social Club on Sunday 6th May starting at 12noon. Can players please aim to get there 15 minutes early so that we can start on time. Thanks.
Code Player A1 Stuart Carruthers D1 Graham Daniels C1 Clive Thompson B1 Graham Sparksman B2 Steve King C2 Paul Jobbins D2 Iain Tarrant A2 Dave Howlett A3 Mark Webber D3 Derek Taylor C3 Stephen Hopkins B3 Mick Holmwood B4 Rob Jones C4 Keith Potter D4 Brian Marten A4 Ros Appleby
TIME TABLE 1 TABLE 2 TABLE 3 TABLE 4 12:00 A1 v A2 D4 v D3 B2 v B3 C3 v C2 12:45 A4 v A3 D1 v D2 B4 v B1 C4 v C1 13:30 C1 v C3 A3 v A1 D2 v D4 B1 v B2 14:15 C2 v C4 A2 v A4 D3 v D1 B3 v B4 15:00 B3 v B1 B4 v B2 A2 v A3 A4 v A1 15:45 D3 v D2 C4 v C3 C2 v C1 D1 v D4 16:30 - Semi-Finals (TBD) and will include Plate if appropriate. 17:15 - Finals (Table TBC)
• All games will be aggregate score over two legs.
• In Group games 2pts will be awarded for a win, 1pt for a draw and 0pts for a loss. The order of the group will be decided by the number of points, with total score being used to separate players who are level on points. If players are still tied then head-to-head result will be used to determine placing.
• Games will be played in the order shown on the schedule with the first named player taking the first shot in group matches.
• For the Semi-Final and Final the order of play will be determined by a flip of a coin with the winner having the choice of taking the first shot in the first or second leg.
• In the event of a tie in either the Semi-Final or Final a three minute shootout will be used, with each player having three minutes or until they miss to score the highest number of points.
• Players will be required to score the other games in their group, taking a leg each of the first two matches. For the third group game, which are being played at the same time, Group A and D will be requested to score for each other and the same with Group B and C.
• Subject to interest a plate competition with semi-finals and a final for people finishing second in their group will be played. There will be no prizes on offer for this but just added while we are there and have the time and tables available. If the player finishing second in the group doesn’t want to enter it will be offered to the third then fourth place finisher from their group before being offered to players from other groups (a random draw will be done if more than one interested). – Clive Thompson, Competitions Secretary
A memorable event, played today in great spirit. Many, many thanks to Sparky, Ian and Ros for their sterling efforts in setting things up. A brief summary of the winners: Main event: Stuart Carruthers, runner-up Paul Jobbins. Semi-finalists were Mick Holmwood and Iain Tarrant. Plate: Stephen Hopkins, runner-up Ian Giffen. Highest Break (9650) Stuart Carruthers and Score (13890) Stuart Carruthers. Thanks to ALL the players for helping the competition run almost to schedule. (Considering table 3 had a problem with the timer.)
A full transcript will shortly be available on the Horsham website.
My thanks go to Tommo, Ian & Ros for coming in so early, so that the tables could be moved into position, then doing all the graft needed that helped the day go so well. Well done to Stu, Paul, Steve & Ian and all the other players for an enjoyable day.
Great day congratulations to Stuart who played well all day with high break & score along the way. Well done to Paul on reaching the final again.well done to Hoppo in the plate with a good break in the second leg. Good support from all players on the day including scoring their group games. Thanks to Tommo for all his hard work in organising the day & finally thanks to Roffey Club for hosting us. Looking forward to Finals night.